Introduction: National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) is an amazing card with amazing features having features of debit card as well as inter-operable transport card. It was launched by Govt Of India on 4th March 2019. The transport card enables the user to pay for travel, toll duties (toll tax), retail shopping and withdraw money.
NCMC card is empowered through Rupay gateway. It is issued as prepaid, debit or credit Rupay Card from connected banks like SBI, PNB and Bank of India etc.
The customers need not to carry different commuting cards like metro card as the RuPay NCMC Debit Card can be used for paying the fare at Metro Stations, Best Buses or for shopping at retail stores using Offline Wallet account purchases (wherever the functionality is live). The offline part of the RuPay NCMC Debit Card is designed to work at various transport operators and retail stores across the country. Presently, with regard to transport operators, the functionality is live at following locations:
- Delhi Metro
- Chennai Metro
- Kanpur Metro
- Mumbai Metro
- Mumbai BEST Bus
- Bangalore Metro
- Hyderabad Metro
How to Use RuPay National Common Mobility Cards (NCMC) Debit Cards for Offline Wallet Transactions
The RuPay NCMC Debit Card is compatible with both online and offline wallet transactions. While PoS, eComm, and ATM cash withdrawal transactions are all carried out online, Offline Wallet transactions can be carried out via the Offline Wallet. In order to utilize the RuPay NCMC Debit Cards in travel instances like Metro, Buses, and Retail Stores (anywhere the capability is live), the value is saved on the chip of the RuPay NCMC Debit Card in Offline Wallet. The typical Offline transaction process flow at Metro will be as under: –
Step 1: Go to entry gate of Metro Station.
Step 2: Tap the NCMC Debit Card on the device (Automatic Fare Collection i.e. AFC) at entry gate.
Step 3: After travel, tap the NCMC Debit Card on the device kept at exit gate.
Step 4: Automatic Fare Collection (AFC) will display actual fare and deduct the amount from the Offline Wallet on the NCMC Debit Card.
Offline Wallet Components
Below components are associated with Offline Wallet: 1. Limits 2. Contactless enablement 3. Add Money 4. Balance Update 5. Spends 6. Balance Enquiry 7. NCMC Debit Card Block (NCMC Debit Card lost / stolen) 8.NCMC Debit Card closure / damage / replacement 9.NCMC Debit Card Expiry
The limits defined for Offline Wallet usage are as under: –
- Balance that can be held in wallet account at any given point of time: ≤ Rs. 2000.
- Per transaction money load limit: ≤ Rs. 2000.
- Per transaction limit (at merchant / transport operator): ≤ Rs. 200
2. Contactless Enablement
As per RBI guidelines, by default, the contactless facility remains disabled during dispatch of Debit Cards. In order to use the RuPay NCMC Debit Card in Offline Mode, the contactless facility has to be enabled by the customer through various channels available viz; Mobile banking, Internet Banking Services, ATM, IVR and through bank branches.
3. Add Money
The money can be loaded in Offline Wallet account through various channels as mentioned under: –
- a) Through cash at merchant counter (like Metro Stations) – The RuPay NCMC Debit Card holder will visit the merchant counter for recharge of RuPay NCMC Offline Wallet through cash. The official at merchant counter will collect the cash and recharge the NCMC Offline Wallet followed by Service Creation.
- b) Through account using the same RuPay NCMC Debit Card at merchant counter – The RuPay NCMC Debit Card holder will visit the merchant counter for recharge of RuPay NCMC Offline Wallet through the same RuPay NCMC Debit Card. The official at merchant counter will recharge the NCMC Offline Wallet followed by Service Creation by debiting the customer’s account using the same Debit Card (as in case of PoS transactions).
- c) Through Internet Banking Services (IBS) ´ The RuPay NCMC Debit Card holder will login into PNB IBS and selects the option Manage Accounts à NCMC Wallet. ´ Now select the NCMC Debit Card / Wallet to be reload and click on ‘Recharge Card’. System would then ask to enter Account number (to be selected from dropdown) which is to be debited and amount to be loaded.
- d) After entering the details, click on ‘Continue’ and on the next page enter the Transaction password and OTP delivered on Registered Mobile Number. Once the wallet account is loaded with funds, customer, during the next visit to the merchant / transport operator, has to tap the RuPay NCMC Debit Card at the designated counter for balance update transaction subsequent to which offline account in the NCMC Debit Card would be credited with funds and the same would then be ready for use.
4. Balance Update
When RuPay NCMC Debit Card holder performs Add Money transaction through Bank’s e-channels (Internet Banking Services), he / she must perform balance update transaction at the designated transport operator terminal for use of RuPay NCMC Debit Card in Offline mode. Terminal operator will tap the RuPay NCMC Debit Card on the device for updating the balance. After successful Balance update transaction, the RuPay NCMC Debit Card is ready to be used in Offline mode.
After recharge of RuPay NCMC Offline Wallet, Service Creation and Balance Update transactions, a customer can use the Offline Balance available on the RuPay NCMC Debit Card. Customer will tap RuPay NCMC Debit Card on merchant’s PoS or AFC (Automated Fare Collection) gate deployed at transit operators for payment of fare.
- Funds will be deducted from the RuPay NCMC Debit Card Wallet in offline mode (value stored on chip).
- The balance in the Offline Wallet account (stored value on chip) will be updated on real time basis.
- On T+1 basis merchant’s system would send file to the Bank containing details of transactions.
6. Balance Enquiry
- a) Balance (Offline Wallet) Enquiry for balance written on RuPay NCMC Debit Card: POS terminals / AFC (Automated Fare Collection) gates at designated transport Operators will display the available / updated balance of Offline Wallet (balance stored on the chip of the RuPay NCMC Debit Card)
- b) Balance (Offline Wallet) The RuPay NCMC Debit Card number is the Account Number. Customer can enquire the Offline Wallet Account balance through ATM, Branch, Contact Centre and Internet Banking Services
7. Offline Wallet Blocking/ Hotlisting
Offline Wallet balance (balance written on chip of the card) cannot be blocked and is liable for misuse if RuPay NCMC Debit Card is lost / misplaced / stolen. Bank will not bear any liability for the residual balance on the Offline Wallet if RuPay NCMC Debit Card is not physically surrendered to the Bank.
8. NCMC Debit Card closure / damage / replacement
The refund of the Offline balance written on RuPay NCMC Debit Card can be processed after cooling period prescribed by card network, if card is physically surrendered in the Bank branch.
9. NCMC Debit Card expiry
The expiry date (last date of month) of the RuPay NCMC Debit Card is printed on the RuPay NCMC Debit Card itself. In case expiry of the RuPay NCMC Debit Card is encountered, the NCMC Debit Card will cease functioning in Offline mode. Any balance available on Offline Wallet will have to be utilized by the customer prior to expiry of the RuPay NCMC Debit Card. The refund of the Offline Wallet balance available in CBS can be processed after cooling period prescribed by card network, if RuPay NCMC Debit Card is physically surrendered in the Bank branch.
In case if re-issuance of RuPay NCMC Debit Card, customer would have to get the Offline Wallet recharged followed by Service Creation and Balance Update transactions (as explained above) at designated transit operators / merchants.
Q1. What to do in case your NCMC card is lost?
As the card is prepaid and can be misutilized in case you lost the card, hence safety of card has to be taken by cardholder himself.
Upon lost of card, the cardholder must immediately get the card blocked by contacting issuing bank on their help line numbers of through their internet banking or mobile banking as the case may be. The request for blocking the card can also be made at branch level of concerned bank.
Q2. Will there be any additional charge for making contactless payments?
No. There are no additional charges levied to make a contactless payment.
Q3. My card is damaged and I am not able to use it. What should I do to replace the same and get the amount preloaded with old card?
You should visit the base branch and surrender your card. Card balance will be refunded based on latest amount available in your old card after due verification.
Q4. I don’t have usage of this card any more. How can I close my card?
Please visit the nearest branch of your concerned bank and surrender your card. Card balance will be refunded based on latest amount available in your old card after due verification.
Q5. How to transfer the funds from card to my bank account?
No, as per the explicit guidelines you will not be allowed to transfer back the fund from card wallet to the main account. This transfer can be done at the time of card closure only.
Q6. What will be the interested paid on balance kept in card wallet?
No interest will be paid on the balance available in card wallet as it is a prepaid instrument and hence no interest will be paid.
For more details Please refer : NCMC Card Launch by Govt
Must Read : Everything to know about ELSS